Pages

Monday 23 June 2014

Arm Chair Conundrum

I have this vision of the perfect arm chair: its comfortable, its cozy. . . but also compact. There are also 2 of them ( of course), they are amazingly cheap, and fit in my car.

They don't exist.

This weekend I trekked all over this city.

These are what we had at the beginning of the weekend, 2 ikea arm chairs:
Our current arm chairs
So I began my search, I went to a furniture liquidation place. . . no luck. Lots of chairs, no matching pairs, none without obvious fabric damage.

So I went to a used furniture store, and found these down-filled rolled arm chairs: The fabric was this horrible shiny white that was so dirty, but it was down filled, solid constuction. They where $20 each and furniture was 50% off. DONE, I thought, I've seen a few people paint fabric chairs, I can do that:
 
 
Well they did not fit in the car. And I guess also, (realistically) they would have been a little large for the space.
 
But that was ok because I found these 2 arm chairs at Crate and Barrel that where 2 days away from being marked down 90% aka each of them would have been $210, I was so excited!
 
Like, soooo excited.
 
Well I called this morning when they opened (on the day they would have been 90%). GONE; someone snatched them up at 80%  . . . an obviously wiser person than me.
 
But that's ok because at the same used furniture store I also found this down filled settee. Too bad pink isn't my thing, but I could paint them just like I was going to do with the white chairs right!?
 
 Well I have the settee, its sitting in my living room: Solid wood construction, down filled, the quality of the fabric is amazing. . . just no though, it doesn't work, it looks completely out of place.
 
Its not 2 arm chairs.  . . and It doesn't fit in: Its too high,  the lines are too formal, the seat is too shallow.
 
Its an amazing deal and an even more amazing find. . . but not the right one.  . . .
 
So now I have a settee and no where to put it, and still no arm chairs. . . .
 
ITS SUCH A CONUNDRUM!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment